Friday, February 8, 2013

Woodwind Recording Session: February 6th, 2013

Here's my new piece for Woodwinds. It's a cue called "Travel Music" from an imaginary documentary called "Stephen A. Douglas: An American Portrait".  It was recorded at Studio X in Seattle, WA. The Engineer was Reed Ruddy. Hummie Mann was the conductor.

It calls for 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, and 1 bassoon. The players were awesome and I was tickled with the outcome. Of special note is that all of the chords are related chromatically. They don't have a classical relationship to each other but are related often by thirds. Some jazz players refer to this as chromatic mediant progressions, but in this case it's not always by a third. I've included the score in the video and it follows the notes on the track.

Special thanks to Sean Osborn, Robin Peery, Alicia Suarez, and others whom I didn't see because I, for work reasons, couldn't even be there! Special thanks also to Hummie Mann and my fellow students who did production work in the booth on this one.


No comments: